Your vehicle


No products

Cart Check out

Do I Need a Type Approved Cat?

Catalytic Converters & Type Approval 

What is a Catalytic Converter or Cat? 

The Catalytic Converter (commonly known as a Cat) is a device that helps to reduce the harmful emissions from your vehicle's engine. 

How does it work? 

The Cat works by filtering the exhaust gases through an internal honeycomb section known as a Monolith. The Monolith is either ceramic or metal and is coated with precious metals such as Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium. Using a combination of heat and precious metals the Catalytic Converter promotes a chemical reaction that reduces the harmful emissions of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides and converts them into water vapour and less harmful gases. 

Do I Need a Type Approved Cat?

If your car is X registration or older and therefore first registered before 1st March 2001 you DO NOT need to buy a Type Approved catalytic converter. 

If your car is Y registration or newer and therefore first registered on or after 1st March 2001 YOU MUST buy a Type Approved catalytic converter.
A Type Approved catalytic converter has a higher loading, contains more precious metals and is therefore equivalent to the original unit.
The R103 Type Approval regulations are enforceable by law and non compliance can lead to a £5000 fine.